Jude Landry Store

Monday, September 13, 2010

A stay-at-home-mom's paycheck

Yeah, I know... we're paid in hugs and kisses, words of gratitude, and hopefully tons of riches in Heaven. But sometimes I feel really guilty about not bringing bacon home every month. Even a little bit extra would go a long way in the Landry house.

To keep me from feeling so helpless, I remind myself that my "job" is to save, not earn. I wash cloth diapers instead of buying them every week. I breast feed instead of buying formula. I keep the lights off and the air off during the day when I can. I buy generic brands and things on sale. I sew all our own clothing (ok, I'm still working on this one - a single skirt and a few hems don't really count.) But you see where I'm going.

And every now and then, I get a nice bonus. Today, after jumping through some hoops, I finally got my labor and delivery bill lowered $478.97 (thanks for the tips, Kaitlin). My vocation calls me to be responsible, resourceful, and diligent, and to not settle when things could be better. ***Side note: a non-medicated birth is way cheaper...***

At the same time I'm patting myself on the back, I need to remember a few things. While putting on a movie, picking up a Happy Meal, and giving in to a fit is easier on me, my standard should be higher. And I'll be the first to say that my parenting is not perfect and that I could be doing even more to save our family money (like growing a garden - though I'd be the only one eating those veggies...). But I'm happy with my work performance for today, and hopefully I'll be a great employee tomorrow, too.

Now, if I could only work out that vacation time with HR...

Here are two dresses that I wish I would have made... My friend Kelly sewed them for the girls - but I picked out the fabric! Great job, Kelly!

1 comment:

Kelly Aldridge said...

Yay! The dresses are soooo cute on the girls, mostly because they are SOOO adorable! Miss y'all!!!