Jude Landry Store

Sunday, September 19, 2010

All to all

I'm a wife and a mom. And lately I've been working really hard at being better at those. But something happened to me recently that called my role as "friend" into question. I got my feelings hurt a little and when I started to analyze the situation (which I tend to do frequently - hence the blog), I realized I was shifting the focus to me and my needs when it clearly should have been about her. (I can hear my parents and siblings saying, "Alisha? The center of attention? No way...")

I won't bore you with more details, (and wouldn't you like to know...) but they aren't really necessary. The bottom line is, I've been striving to be better at my roles, but not my life.

I can't separate my life into little facets and think that I can behave differently according to my title or situation. We are called to be like Christ to all people, in all circumstances. St. Paul writes in his first letter to the Corinthians, "I have become all things to all, to save at least some. All this I do for the sake of the gospel, so that I too may have a share in it." 1 Cor. 9:22-23

Christ wasn't a different man to different people. His love was constant and unconditional. He was the same to our Blessed Mother as He was to the sinner, regardless of reciprocity (I paused to look up that spelling). Am I?

I can't just work on being a better homemaker - I must work on being a greater disciple, thus fulfilling my role as daughter, sister, wife, mother, friend, parishioner, etc. And where I am called to be a servant here, I am called to be a servant there, humble and sacrificial. Always.

So for the times as your friend or family member when I have been less than perfect in that role, I'm sorry. Thank you for being patient with me and pray for me, that I may bring great honor to the many titles Christ has given me.

Even innocent Joan, as a friend to Tarzan, needs to apologize every now and again...

No comments: